Joomla! Hosting Options
In creating a new website for your business, whether it be new or a redesign, you’ll have a couple of options in terms of web hosting. For starters, you can find a platform to both manage and host your site on, or you can utilize a content management system (CMS) to be hosted by another platform. Business and website owners alike often choose the latter due to the ability to customize and control a CMS typically offers. Joomla! is one such CMS that’s easy to use and integrates well with a range of top-rated web hosts. With Joomla!, you can completely build a website from scratch, create and manage content, track edits, and more. Plus, you’ll have access to a large list of extensions.
Of course, Joomla! isn’t necessarily for everyone. Some website owners may prefer WordPress CMS, or utilize their web host’s management tools to build and customize their website. In an effort to help you decide whether or not Joomla! and the available hosts will suit your website’s needs, take a look below to learn more about Joomla! hosting.
Of course, if you know cloud hosting isn’t right for your business, or you’d like to explore other options, check out the articles we’ve provided below:
Joomla! CMS Explained
Before we go into more detail on Joomla!, its capabilities, and advised hosts for such, it may help some to explain what a content management system is. A CMS is essentially a type of software used to manage web content. From there, a CMS typically offers tools and plugins to make further design changes, improve user experience, and more. Further, you can edit individual pages, revise content, add links, among other tasks. While WordPress’s CMS may be the one of the most popular among website owners, Joomla! also offers a powerful CMS.
Fairly well known for its ease of use and extensibility, the Joomla! CMS is a free open source software—which makes it quite appealing. It can be used to make virtually any type of site or online application, from corporate websites and government applications to online magazines and ecommerce stores.
Joomla! CMS: Key Features
Within the CMS, users have access to a broad range of features to build, organize, and maintain web content, including blogs, Intranets, and mobile apps. Check out some other key features below:
- Joomla! offers over 65 languages, allowing users to create multi-language websites while working within the CMS. This can make your website more accessible to users around the globe.
- Seeing as the CMS is a free open source software, there’s a free forum to resolve technical problems and other issues. Plus, they even provide a resource directory if you ever need more hands-on help.
- Given that most software requires regular updates, Joomla! features a one-click version update to simplify the process. Plus, it’ll notify you when there’s an update available.
- Of course, there’s also a media manager to help users stay organized, and it pairs with the article editor for quick access to media as you create content.
- Users can also edit their site from the front end, avoiding having to login and make changes to the site from the backend. This is great for quick edits.
By The Numbers
To get an idea of how much of the web relies on Joomla!, take a look at the stats below:
- Over 3% of the Web runs on Joomla!
- Joomla! owns 9% of the current CMS market share
- Currently, nearly 300,000 websites utilize the CMS
Disadvantages of Joomla! CMS
Joomla! is often considered a middle ground between the simplicities of WordPress and the more advanced capabilities of the Drupal CMS, which can make it seem complicated for beginners and limiting for more experienced developers. Some common downfalls of Joomla! are listed below:
- As alluded to above, even with a list of templates and features, many advanced web developers find the CMS to be limiting.
- Despite the list of features and add-ons, users find Joomla! to offer less than WordPress in this regard.
- Though Joomla! is free, not every plugins and add-on is. Some plugins that users find for free on WordPress are paid with Joomla!.
Though Joomla! does have its downfalls, what CMS doesn’t? The CMS you choose (if you go this route) is going to depend on your experience, and many users find that Joomla! is the perfect place to start. So, regardless of pros and cons, let’s take a closer look at Joomla! hosting.
How Joomla! Hosting Works
As with most content management systems, there’s a variety of platforms who offer Joomla! hosting. Depending on the host you choose, you can typically install the CMS through the hosting platform. However, these aren’t the only options. Users can actually use Joomla! without installing it, by using Joomla.com. Here, you can create your website and have it online through the company itself. The most popular and common option, though, is Joomla! hosting, where you can download Joomla! through your hosting provider—as mentioned above. This allows users to be hosted by a platform of their choice and still reap the benefits of the free CMS.
Platforms Offering Joomla! Hosting
When it comes to Joomla! hosting, or self-hosted Joomla! sites, users have a list of options for their hosting platform. For starters, Joomla! lists several providers on their site for users to choose from. However, most users tend to find a host of their choice, as the web hosting company you choose will have a strong impact on your ability to customize and scale the site. If you’re seeking Joomla! hosting, consider the platforms listed below:
- SiteGround: A common choice for many, SiteGround makes using Joomla! quite simple. They offer easy installation, a free domain, and 24/7 support for the CMS. Plus, you’re guaranteed quick speeds and top-notch security.
- BlueHost: BlueHost is a popular platform outside Joomla! hosting, and just as popular within. However, it’s often best suited for those with little needs in regards to hosting, as one problem with BlueHost is it doesn’t offer VPS or dedicated servers. Aside from that, most users find it to be quite simple and well priced.
- 1&1 Web Hosting: 1&1 is almost always offering price cuts for the first year of your plan, and it works great with Joomla!. 1&1’s Joomla! hosting provides users with a domain, marketing features, and advanced security. Plus, you have three options for plans, catering to all levels of web developers. You’ll also have access to 24/7 support, in addition to unlimited webspace.
As with many aspects of web hosting, the CMS or host you choose is going to come down to your preference, experience, and needs. Joomla! hosting is a viable option for many website owners, and it offers a great list of features and capabilities. However, some may find that WordPress better meets their specific needs, while others with more complexity will need to experience in a CMS like Drupal.
Build Your Site and Track it with StatCounter
No matter how you go about your website and hosting for such, website owners should always keep a close watch on their website to ensure it’s performing online as expected. With StatCounter and our web tracker, you can use a variety of metrics to determine how users navigate through your site and where traffic comes from. You can then use this information to make necessary site changes and improve site traffic.
As the trusted domain and web hosting provider of StatCounter, 1&1 offers some of the most affordable web hosting plans around. Better yet, their services are of the highest quality and many of their plans come with additional features, like a free SSL certificate. Still not sold on 1&1? Many of their hosting plans come with a free domain and many additional features to help improve your site.
Share this article
Contact your StatCounter Growth Expert for a free 30 minute consultation
Understand your visitors with StatCounter
See why over 2,000,000 bloggers, web designers, marketing and SEO professionals and small business owners around the world use StatCounter to grow their business.Learn More