What Does SEO Stand For?
As you may know, SEO stands for search engine optimization. But what does that mean? And what does search engine optimization entail? In short, SEO is focused upon acquiring website traffic and high search result rankings organically. By organic, we mean without paying for web traffic via pay-per-click ads, among other methods. Within SEO, there’s a variety of strategies—some more effective than others. This could be anything from developing website content around keywords related to your industry to maintaining a strong presence across multiple social media platforms. It doesn’t end there, however, nor will it ever. SEO practices and strategies are constantly changing to remain effective as internet search engines continuously update algorithms.
Of course, SEO is only as effective as the strategies used, and to determine the strategies that perform well and those that don’t, an SEO strategist (or just plain SEO) needs to monitor the success of their strategies through accurate analytics. Without accurate analytics, SEOs have no way of ensuring their strategies are working. Queue StatCounter! We provide precise analytics and website stats for our valued members so they can make effective decisions as to where to go with their SEO strategies. In addition to providing such accurate and useful metrics, however, StatCounter also strives to inform our members of the importance of SEO and its usefulness in obtaining web traffic and ultimately increasing conversion rates. Without further ado, let’s take a closer look at what SEO means and what it entails.
SEO for Beginners
Now that we’ve covered what SEO stands for, you’re ready to take a closer look at the world of SEO. A complicated topic, SEO involves countless strategies and tactics all geared toward increasing the visibility of a website and, in turn, increasing traffic. In many ways, SEO is a marketing tactic—and a popular marketing tactic for that matter. Having said that, companies always need to stay on par with the latest in marketing in an effort to keep up with competitors. This makes SEO crucial, especially considering the digital age we live in. The vast majority of web users turn to search engines to find the information they’re seeking and, if your brand isn’t ranking in the top results of such search engines, you’ll have zero visibility and, therefore, limited traffic. Still need convincing? Consider the stats below:
- Over 40% of the world population has internet connection
- 40,000 search queries are processed every second on Google alone (that’s 1.2 trillion a year worldwide)
- Facebook has 1.71 billion active users (social media is key for SEO)
- 1.13 billion users log into Facebook per day
- Twitter has an estimated 1.3 billion registered users
- 120 million people visit Twitter each month (500 million visit without logging in)
- 100 million Twitter users login daily
As you can see, internet and social media usage only increases with each passing day. Considering this, an online presence for any business is absolutely essential in today’s world, not only to ensure you receive website traffic, but also to keep up with the competition. Without further ado, let’s take a look at some key strategies for those seeking to delve into SEO for the first time.
Key SEO Strategies & Tactics
As with any form of digital marketing, there’s a range of effective strategies to improve your visibility and increase conversion rates. Within SEO marketing, it’s all about web traffic, and converting that traffic into customers. In acquiring and retaining traffic to your website, there are some initial steps to take within SEO. See below:
- Social Media: As mentioned, a strong presence on social media is extremely beneficial within SEO, especially considering the statistics provided above.
- Quality Content (utilizing keywords): Of course, search engines cater to the user, so Bing, Google, and any other search engine is going to provide results that best match the user’s request. Quality content based on keyword search (terms related to your industry you’d like to rank for) is essential.
- Inbound Links: Site authority also impacts your rankings on any given search engine. The more external domains linking to your website (inbound links), the more authority it has in the eyes of search engine bots. Often called backlinks, inbound links can be acquired in a variety of ways, but you should be careful to avoid penalization.
- Architecture: The architecture of your website, which includes navigation, aesthetics, and functionality, needs to address the user’s needs. This can involve leading them from one page to the next (logically) and much more.
Of course, there’s plenty more to SEO strategies than those listed above. These are simply the basics of SEO and should always be practiced to maintain visibility and rankings within search engines.
What Does SEO Stand For? Visibility!
While the answer to what does SEO stand for is a simple one, what it involves is not so clear cut. SEO requires time, strategizing, and monitoring to ensure it’s working effectively. While there’s plenty of tactics you can practice on your own, SEO is constantly changing, so it can be difficult to stay on top of current trends and keep up with competitors. In order to stay on par, you’ll need an accurate means to tracking results, as mentioned previously. And StatCounter provides just that: precise metrics so you can make informed decisions for your business.
Contact your StatCounter Growth Expert for a free 30 minute consultation
Understand your visitors with StatCounter
See why over 2,500,000 bloggers, web designers, marketing and SEO professionals and small business owners around the world use StatCounter to grow their business.Learn More