What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) refers to the process of making a website more visible within search engine results pages. The process itself includes a variety of strategies and techniques aimed at improving search engine rankings, and ultimately increasing the amount of organic traffic to your website. Whether by creating high-quality content, obtaining inbound links from other websites, or by doing off-page optimization, there are a number of methods to improve a certain web page in the eyes of search engines.
StatCounter gives you all the necessary tools to track your visitors and the effects of SEO on your website. We also strive to provide any information necessary so our members can thrive on competitive search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Bing. This guide intends to define the fundamentals of SEO, as well as some of its basic methodology. Let’s take a look.
If you are ready to learn more about SEO, check out the links below:
Basic SEO Strategies
SEO is inherently complex, and it doesn’t help that the rules are constantly changing. As search engines refine their algorithms, the rules of SEO must invariably adapt. But there are a few fundamental SEO strategies that remain constant throughout all these changes:
- Produce Quality Content: One of the biggest aspects of SEO is the production of content. When writing SEO content, you need to consider what people are searching for and include keywords that are commonly searched and relevant to your business and industry. SEO content should be clear, concise, and should aim to satisfy a user’s intent when they search for particular keywords.
- Get Quality Backlinks: Backlinks refer to any inbound link to your website, which is when another site links to yours. Search engines look fondly at websites that have high-quality links leading back to their site. Finding quality backlinks will increase the legitimacy of a website in the eyes of search engines. They also create an avenue for new traffic to visit your website.
- On-Page Optimization: There are a number of on-page optimization strategies that can improve a website’s competitiveness within search engines. Title tags, meta descriptions, and image alt text can all be optimized to drive more traffic. Even seemingly negligible factors like fast-loading pages can improve search engine rankings.
- Off-Page Optimization: Not all SEO efforts are obvious to the outside eye. There are a number of off-page optimization strategies that can improve a website’s competitiveness within search engines. Besides link building, social media and social bookmarking can help improve a website’s search engine standing. However, social media is also a viable option in engaging your audience and providing yet another avenue for them to reach your site and learn more about your business.
The Benefits of SEO
SEO aims primarily to improve a website’s search engine rankings for a variety of keywords. But why is that important? First, improved search engine rankings will ultimately drive more organic traffic to your website. The majority of those using search engines won’t look beyond the first results page to find what they’re looking for, so improving the visibility of your website matters. More traffic can increase brand awareness and increase sales for e-commerce sites.
By The Numbers
If you’re still unsure of how effective SEO can be, take a look at the statistics we’ve provided below:
- Over 70% of web users ignore paid advertisements in search results
- 70% of the links clicked on by web users are organic results
- Search and email have been deemed the as the top internet activities
- The first organic search result for any given keyword typically gets over 30% of clicks
While there are other avenues to increase your online visibility, organic search optimization is remarkably inexpensive. For example, pay-per-click advertisements can perform well, if you know what you’re doing, but this requires a bit of money. Additionally, you can pay to have your website ranked above organic results in search result pages. This, like pay-per-click, can be expensive and may not benefit your website as much as you might expect.
Good SEO also tends to simultaneously improve a website’s usability. By simplifying on-page content and a website's architecture, users will have a more positive and meaningful experience navigating your website. For this reason, satisfying user interest should always be a priority throughout your SEO efforts
Track Your SEO Efforts with StatCounter Insights
SEO may be immensely important, but it's not something you can implement once and assume it will continue to drive traffic to your site. You will need to constantly optimize your site, revise your SEO strategy, and continue to publish fresh and engaging content.
With StatCounter, you can track the progress you have made on your website through our SEO training to ensure your website is competitive online. If you have questions or comments, you can contact StatCounter member support for help by filling out the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Share this article
Contact your StatCounter Growth Expert for a free 30 minute consultation
Understand your visitors with Statcounter
See why over 2,000,000 bloggers, web designers, marketing and SEO professionals and small business owners around the world use Statcounter to grow their business.Learn More