The information provided below is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice and should not be considered as such. If you have concerns or questions about legal issues, you should consult an appropriate lawyer or legal firm.
Statcounter is an online service which helps us to understand our visitors; for example, how visitors find our website, how long they spend on our site, which web pages they are most interested in etc. We use Statcounter because better understanding how visitors are interacting with our website helps us to improve the content, design and functionality of our site. This allows us to offer a better online experience to our visitors.
- Time and date of visit (this can help us to identify and plan for busy periods on our website)
- IP address (this is a numerical label assigned to a device by an Internet Service Provider to enable the device to access the internet)
- Browser and Operating System (this can help us to make sure that our website functions correctly in the browsers/operating systems used to access our site)
- Device Information e.g. device type and screen size (this can help us to make sure that our website functions correctly in the devices used to access our site)
- Referring Data e.g. a search engine link (this can help us to understand which search engines are helping visitors to find our website)
Furthermore, when you visit our website a Statcounter cookie (called "is_unique") may be placed in your browser. This cookie is used only to determine whether you are a first-time or returning visitor and to estimate unique visits to the site.
You can learn more about cookies from StatCounter and set your browser to refuse same by clicking here.
Answers to the majority of questions we receive can be found here in the knowledge base.
- How can I track downloads?
- How do I delete my account?
- How do I use Custom Tags?
- What are some Custom Tag use cases?
- Can I alter the Statcounter code?
- What happens when my log file is full - does Statcounter stop tracking?
- Do you reserve the right to share my email addresses or my clients' site users' email addresses with third parties?
- Do you have a secure (HTTPS / SSL) tracking code?
- Why is this service free?
- If a visitor does not have cookies enabled are they still tracked by the system?
- Statcounter and the GDPR
- What is the database error message I'm seeing?
- Does StatCounter work with Craigslist?
- How do I close my account?
- How can I view stats from only certain countries / cities / states?
- Why does the URL say "Unknown"?
- My email report is missing / didn't get delivered.
- In my downloaded log the leading zero (0) in zip codes has been removed - how can I fix this?