Search engine optimization, or SEO, has become a necessity for businesses both large and small in recent years. As search engines continue to get more advanced in their ranking algorithms, SEO has to evolve to meet the current demands of the industry. Alone, this can be a daunting task, especially when coupled with other important, business-oriented tasks. This is where an SEO consultant comes in.
SEO consultants are able to help develop a clear-cut strategy to help businesses perform better in search engine rankings. These strategies will often be fluid and able to change as search engines evolve to help businesses improve their rankings to gain more traffic to their website. Consultants are also able to identify a business's true goals and develop strategies to accomplish them accordingly. However, the duties of a consultant vary depending on the business they are working with.
Duties of an SEO Consultant
While the main duties of an SEO consultant are to develop a strong strategy for business and to help reach the end goal that is identified, the duties of an SEO consultant are a bit more complex.
In order to improve search engine rankings, for example, the SEO consultant will have to do some research to determine keywords that a business should focus their strategy around. This involves determining the strength of the businesses website to identify keywords that are related to the industry and that the company can actually rank for.
Next, content will have to be written for the site in question. Webpages and blog posts built around the keywords identified is one of the most important aspects of SEO and while many SEO consultants won’t write the content for you, they can help set you up with a content writer or outsource the work for you.
In addition to creating new content for the site, an SEO consultant will be able to optimize the current webpages to help improve rankings even further. Title tags, meta descriptions, htags, image alt text, and keyword density are all aspects of on-site optimization an SEO consultant can perform.
There is also off-page optimization, which an SEO consultant performs to improve rankings. This includes identifying backlink opportunities and submitting the business to local online directories. This will not only help to drive more traffic to the site, but it will also help to improve the authority of the site.
SEO Consulting Tools
SEO consultants require a number of tools to help them perform their jobs effectively. Many SEO tools cost money every month, however, some are free. Some of the common tools used by SEO consultants are:
- SEMRush: SEMRush provides a breadth of information for SEO consultants to use. From keyword research to backlink analysis, SEMRush has a number of tools built into its service to help develop a clear-cut strategy.
- Siteliner: Siteliner provides consultants with information on duplicate content, broken backlinks, redirects, and more. This can help identify areas that could use improvement that the consultant can focus on.
- Moz: Moz is capable of many of the same services as SEMRush, like keyword research and backlink analysis, but also gives SEO consultants the ability to track individual SEO campaigns.
- OpenLinkProfiler: OpenLinkProfiler is a free online tool that can help SEO consultants check a site’s backlinks and export them into an easy-to-use .CSV file.
- StatCounter: Of course, SEO consultants also use StatCounter insights to track key performance indicators (KPIs) for a business. This will help consultants take notice of aspects of the strategy that are performing well and others that have fallen off.
Contact your StatCounter Growth Expert for a free 30 minute consultation
Understand your visitors with StatCounter
See why over 2,500,000 bloggers, web designers, marketing and SEO professionals and small business owners around the world use StatCounter to grow their business.Learn More